This Stihl 026 chainsaw sprocket guide will help with the Clutch Drum and Chain Sprocket Removal and Refitting of the 026 chainsaw. A Service Manual detailing the Clutch Drum and Chain Sprocket procedures including full diagrams, as well as more complete chainsaw repair information, is available to download. Also a Stihl 026 Parts List, Operator Manual, and carburetor manual are also available to view or download as a PDF which can be read on any device or printed.
Stihl 026 Clutch Drum and Chain Sprocket
- Remove the chain sprocket cover.
- Disengage the chain brake by pulling the handguard toward the front handle.
- Remove the E-clip (1).
- Remove the washer (2).
- If a rim sprocket is fitted, pull it off.
- Pull off the clutch drum/chain sprocket.
- Remove the needle cage.
- Clean and inspect the clutch drum/chain sprocket.
Important: If there are noticeable wear marks on the inside diameter of the clutch drum, check its wall thickness. If it is less than 80% of the original wall thickness, fit a new clutch drum.
Note: If the clutch drum has to be replaced, also check the brake band – see 4.3.2.
- If the clutch drum is still serviceable, use No. 120 emery paper or emery cloth (grain size approx. 120m) to clean and roughen its friction surface.
Reassemble in the reverse sequence.
- Clean stub of the crankshaft.
Wash needle cage in clean white spirit and lubricate with grease – see 13.2.
- Replace a damaged needle cage.
- On 026, rotate clutch drum/chain sprocket and apply slight pressure at the same time
until driver on oil pump worm engages the notch on the drum’s circumference.
- If the chainsaw is equipped with a rim sprocket, refit it so that the cavities face outwards.
Troubleshooting chart – see “Standard Repairs, Troubleshooting” handbook.
- Unscrew the slotted nut from the shroud.
- Remove the shroud.
- Pull off the spark plug boot.
- Unscrew the spark plug.
- Close the decompression valve (1), where fitted.
- Push the locking strip (2)
0000 893 5903 into the cylinder.
- Unscrew the clutch in the direction of the arrow (left-hand thread).
- Disassemble and reassemble the clutch – see “Standard Repairs, Troubleshooting” handbook.
- On 024, if a cover washer is fitted behind the original clutch, do not refit it when installing the new clutch.
- Screw clutch onto crankshaft and torque down to 50 Nm (37 lbf.ft).
- Remove locking strip from the cylinder.
- Install spark plug and torque down to 25 Nm (18.5 lbf.ft).
- On machines with a decompression valve, make sure the cover is properly seated.
- If the shroud is replaced on a 026 machine without decompression valve, seal the opening in the shroud with the cap.
- Check the condition of heat shield (foil) and fit a new one if necessary.
- Fit the shroud
Stihl 026 chainsaw Clutch Drum and Chain Sprocket Removal and Refitting