The Makita 40V Max XGT battery-powered 18-inch chainsaw is an ideal choice for chainsaw prospective buyers. With its impressive power, durability, and safety features, you can be sure that this saw will make short work of any job you need it for.
In this review, I will discuss why the Makita 40V Max XGT chainsaw is a great option for your next chainsaw purchase.
The Makita 40V max XGT Battery-Powered 18-Inch Chainsaw is a great option for anyone looking for a chainsaw that’s both powerful and lightweight. This review will discuss the features and benefits of this chainsaw, to help you decide whether it’s the right one for you.
Table of Contents
There are two models in Makita’s latest expansion of 18-inch chainsaws: the GCU04Z and GCU06Z. These chainsaws are identical in terms of engine and performance specifications and are powered by a brushless motor that delivers the power equivalent to a 42cc gas engine. They have the capability to reach chain speeds of up to 5020 feet per minute. The only distinction between the two models is a single design feature, which will be discussed further.
Features and Benefits
The Makita 40V max XGT Chainsaw offers several benefits and benefits that make it stand out from the competition, it also packs a lot of features into its compact design. It has a brushless motor that provides up to 3,600 RPM, so you get powerful performance with every cut. It also has a variable speed trigger for precise control, a lock-off switch for safety, and a tool-less chain tensioning system for easy adjustments. The battery is compatible with other Makita 40V max XGT tools, so you can save money by sharing power sources.
- Powerful: The Makita 40V max XGT Chainsaw is capable of delivering impressive power, making it a great choice for any job.
- Lightweight: The lightweight design makes it easy to maneuver and transport.
- Durability: This chainsaw is designed to last, with a durable construction and high-quality components.
- Safety: The Makita 40V max XGT Chainsaw is equipped with a variety of safety features, making it a safe and reliable option.
- The GCU04Z is equipped with bar nuts, providing greater control when adjusting the tightness of the chain.
- The GCU06Z features a tool-less chain adjustment system, making it easy to perform maintenance and make adjustments as needed.
- Affordable: The total price is reasonable for a high-powered battery chainsaw, making it a cost-effective option for those in need of a powerful and versatile tool.
As a professional chainsaw user myself for more than 25 years, I can tell you that there are distinct advantages to both manual bar nuts and tool-less chain adjustments in chainsaws. For professionals, having the ability to manually adjust chain tension with bar nuts is a must-have feature. On the other hand, for homeowners, tool-less chain adjustments provide convenience during maintenance.
Makita has addressed this by offering two 40V 18-inch chainsaws, one with manual bar nuts (GCU04Z) and the other with a tool-less adjustment (GCU06Z). Both models boast a variable speed trigger, automatic chain lubrication, and Makita’s XPT technology for dust and water resistance.
If you’re in need of a shorter bar length, Makita also offers a 16-inch model (GCU05Z) with the same engine and performance capabilities as the 18-inch models. This model also features a tool-less chain adjustment, making it ideal for homeowners.
All in all, the Makita 40V max XGT Chainsaw offers a wealth of benefits that make it a standout choice for anyone in need of a powerful and versatile cordless battery chainsaw.
Makita 40V Max XGT Chainsaw Pros and Cons
- 40V MAX XGT battery system provides ample power to handle demanding cutting tasks
- 18-inch bar length is suitable for a wide range of cutting applications
- Battery-powered design eliminates the need for gasoline or cords, reducing emissions and providing greater mobility
- Automatic oiling system helps maintain the chain and bar, prolonging the life of the tool and increasing efficiency
- Electronic chain brake enhances user safety by quickly stopping the chain if necessary
- Brushless motor provides increased efficiency, longer run time, and extended tool life
- Lightweight and well-balanced design makes it comfortable to use for extended periods of time
- The battery and charger are sold separately, which may
- increase the overall cost of the tool
- Some users may find the battery life to be limited for extended cutting tasks
- The 18-inch bar length may not be suitable for larger, commercial-sized cutting jobs
- The tool may not be as powerful as gas-powered chainsaws, which can be an issue for some users
- Being battery-powered, the tool may not have the same power output as a corded or gas-powered chainsaw, which could be limiting for some users.
Makita 40V 18 Inch Chainsaw Price
The Makita GCU04Z is available for purchase in the USA at an average retail price of $429 for the bare tool and $599 as a kit with a 5.0Ah battery and charger included. On the other hand, if you’re looking for a chainsaw with the convenient tool-free chain adjustment feature, the GCU06Z is available at a retail price of $389 for the bare tool and $559 as a kit with battery and charger.
Makita stands behind their products and provides a 3-year warranty for your purchase. This gives you peace of mind knowing that your investment is protected and you can enjoy using your chainsaw for years to come.
The cost of this saw can vary depending on the retailer and location, and may also be subject to change over time.
Makita 40V Max XGT Chainsaw Specifications
- Guide Bar Length : 18″
- Pitch : 3/8″ LP
- Gauge : .050″
- Chain Speed : 5,020 FPM
- Net Weight (with battery) : 14.99 lbs.
- Net Weight (without battery) : 12.13 lbs.
- Handle Type (Chainsaws) : Rear Handle
- System : 40V max XGT
- Battery : 40V max XGT Lithium-Ion
- Power Type : Cordless
- Motor Type : Brushless
- Shipping Weight : 22.65 lbs.
- UPC Code : 088381-762915
Makita 40V Max XGT Questions and Answers
What’s the difference between Makita LXT and XGT?
The Makita XGT battery packs a powerful punch with its 40 Volt output, which is double the voltage of the LXT platform’s 18 Volt batteries. In addition to being more potent, it’s also designed for durability and can withstand rough handling and exposure to water, making it even more robust than the LXT battery. To top it off, the fast charger for the XGT battery has the ability to communicate with the battery during the charging process, just like the charger for the LXT.
What does XGT stand for Makita?
Next Generation Technology
How long does it take to charge Makita 40V Max XGT Chainsaw?
The XGT 40v Max lithium-ion batteries, boasting a 2.5Ah and 4.0Ah capacity, can be fully charged within just 28 minutes and 45 minutes, respectively.
The Makita 40V max XGT Battery-Powered 18-Inch Chainsaw is an excellent choice for anyone looking for a powerful, lightweight chainsaw. Its brushless motor provides plenty of power, and the variable speed trigger and lock-off switch ensure safety. The tool-less chain tensioning system makes adjustments quick and easy, and tool-less chain tensioning system, it provides you with the power and precision you need for any job. It’s also compatible with other Makita 40V max XGT tools, so you can save money by sharing power sources. So, if you’re looking for a chainsaw that is powerful and versatile, the Makita 40V Max XGT Chainsaw is a great choice.