The STIHL MS 261 chainsaw, first manufactured in 2007, is a powerful and efficient tool designed for professional use in forestry, agriculture, and construction. Equipped with a range of innovative features and advanced technologies, the MS 261 offers precise and reliable performance even in challenging conditions.
From the STIHL M-Tronic system that ensures effortless starting and optimal fuel consumption, to the STIHL Ematic System that reduces chain lubricant consumption, this chainsaw is engineered for maximum productivity and minimal environmental impact. With its durable construction, ergonomic design, and ease of use, the STIHL MS 261 has become a trusted choice for professionals around the world.
|1.8 kW / 2.4 bhp
|Weight (excluding fuel, guide bar, and chain)
|3.7 kg (8.16 lbs)
|30-35 cm / 12-14 in
|Sound Pressure Level
|Sound Power Level
|Vibration Level (left/right)
|Fuel Tank Volume
|Maximum Engine Speed
|Sprocket – Number of Teeth
|4 Channel / Chrome
|Tool-free Filler Cap
|Compensator / Carburettor Heating / Flushing Template / STIHL M-Tronic
|EPA Certified Fuel Consumption
|0.242 gal/h (0.917 L/h)
|Oil Tank Volume
- STIHL M-Tronic (FT): For a cold start, the STIHL M-Tronic only needs one start position on the combi-lever. After starting, you can immediately power up to full speed. The amount of fuel required is precisely calculated by the system and supplied as needed. Otherwise, start in position I as usual.
- STIHL ElastoStart: Due to compression pressure, jerky stresses occur when starting internal combustion engines. The damping element in the ElastoStart special starter grip alternately absorbs and releases force according to the compression pattern. The result is smooth, even starting.
- Controlled-delivery oil pump Different bar lengths, wood types, and sawing techniques require different amounts of oil. The controlled-delivery oil pump allows the user to select just the right amount of oil for the job at hand.
- Side-mounted chain tensioning: Side-mounted chain tensioning makes it easy to tension the chain safely.
- Advanced combustion technology: Four overflow channels swirl the fuel-air mix before ignition, allowing for optimum combustion and highly efficient performance. The result is lower fuel consumption and high torque across a broad rpm range.
- Compensator: This controller in the carburetor prevents the fuel-air mixture getting richer as the air filter becomes clogged. The correct quantity of fuel is delivered to the carburetor depending on the quantity of air passing through the air filter. This keeps the fuel/air ratio in the combustion mixture constant and hence also the engine power. The filter doesn’t need to be cleaned until an appreciable drop in power occurs.
- STIHL anti-vibration system: Precisely calculated buffer zones minimize the transfer of engine and saw chain vibrations to the front and rear handles. The chainsaw, therefore, runs noticeably smoother. This allows the user to save their strength and work longer.
- STIHL Ematic System: Compared to conventional bars without Ematic, the STIHL Ematic system reduces the consumption of chain lubricant by up to 50%, depending on the type of wood and the cutting attachment used. This system comprises a STIHL Ematic or Ematic S guide bar, a STIHL Oilomatic saw chain, and a variable-flow or reduced-flow oil pump. As a result, virtually every drop of chain lubricant is delivered to exactly the right spot.
- Single-lever master control: All important functions such as start, choke, throttle, and stop are operated via a single lever.
- Captive nuts: When changing the cutting attachment, you will not risk losing the nuts on the sprocket. The MS 261 is the first STIHL chainsaw to be equipped with captive nuts. A great advantage for all users.
- Scabbard: The scabbard snaps directly onto the sprocket so it’s firmly attached and safely fixed onto the chainsaw. It also has two suspension eyelets that allow the arborist to secure the scabbard to his harness with a rope. The special scabbard covers the clamp end stop. This is to prevent injury and material damage.
- Tool-free fuel caps: Special caps to open and close the tank cap quickly, easily, and without tools.
- Fold-out hook The fold-out hook serves as a carrying rope attachment for lowering the arborist saw and for security. When it is pushed in, the hook doesn’t get in the way of your work or when it’s in storage.
Accessories for Stihl MS 201 TC-M chainsaw:
- Chainsaw chains (available in various lengths and styles)
- Guide bars (available in various lengths and styles)
- Chainsaw files and filing kits
- Chainsaw carrying cases and storage bags
- Bar and chain oil
- Chainsaw sharpeners
- Protective chainsaw chaps and pants
- Hearing protection
- Safety glasses or goggles
- Chainsaw gloves
- Chainsaw boots or protective footwear
- Fuel and oil containers
- Chainsaw maintenance kits
- Replacement parts (such as spark plugs, air filters, and fuel filters)
- Bar and chain lubricant spray
- Wedges (for felling trees)
- Limbing and pruning attachments (such as pole saws)
- Chainsaw bars and chainsaw chain combos (for convenience)
- Chainsaw chainsaw blade cover or guard
- Carburetor adjustment tools
To sum up the STIHL MS 261 chainsaw, it is a powerful and efficient tool that incorporates advanced technology to enhance its performance and usability. From the STIHL M-Tronic system to the Ematic lubrication system and the anti-vibration system, this chainsaw is designed to provide users with maximum productivity and comfort while using it.
It has been a top choice for professional arborists and foresters since its introduction in 2004, and its features continue to set the standard for high-quality chainsaws. Whether you’re cutting down trees, pruning branches, or working on a landscaping project, the STIHL MS 261 is a reliable tool that will get the job done efficiently and effectively.